Bao…, what? Baobab.
I only just discovered Baobab fruit powder during my recent trip to Zimbabwe and South Africa earlier this year, and let me tell you, I became a huge fan straight away.
So, what am I talking about here? The Baobab tree – often referred to as the “tree of life”- mainly grows in the arid savanna regions of the African continent. Don’t worry, I’ll spare you a lecture in biology… 🙂
The powder is made from the Baobab fruit. I found the fruit to taste rather citrusy, whereas the powder was more neutral in taste and so it works great as an addition to smoothies, yogurts and soups or as a great gluten free flour substitute for pancakes, muffins and cakes.
What makes this super food so exceptional is first and foremost it’s high contents of all sorts of healthy minerals and vitamins. Here’s a quick overview of it’s wonderful health benefits:
- High levels of Vitamin C (up to 10 times as much as an orange): Vitamin C is a key component of collagen, responsible for the repair and growth of body cells and tissue – making it an important vitamin with regards to anti-ageing.
What’s more, vitamin C has been linked to the production of carnitine, a compound which encourages our bodies to turn fat into fuel during a workout. In other words, if you consume foods high in Vitamin C, studies suggest, you’re likely to burn more fat during your workouts than a person with lower vitamin c levels in their bloodstream.
- High levels of calcium and magnesium: Both minerals are crucial for optimum bone strength.
- High levels of potassium: Potassium plays a key role in heart health and can help to alleviate water retention.
- Prebiotic super food: Prebiotics nourish the good bacteria in the gut and improve overall digestive health.
- Extremely rich in soluble fiber: Baobab fruit powder in fact has more fiber than apples or pears. Fiber will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- High level of antioxidants: Antioxidants are responsible for fighting off free radicals, which cause cancer and premature ageing.
Seriously, what’s not to love about this amazing fruit???
My powder is from Wazoogles Superfood (https://wazoogles-2.myshopify.com) with added Spirulina and Moringa. I enjoy it as a post workout shake with coconut milk, as it’s rich in protein and antioxidants.
© 2017 fit-andfabulous.com